Random British Colloquialisms

'Ello there! I have a bit of slang to share with you lot today. In an effort to perpetuate my fancy of everything English, I've compiled a short queue of words/phrases for you to mull over. :) Enjoy, and cheers!

Antwacky
: Old fashioned (kind of reminiscent of "Aunt Wacky"-- an endearment that I don't think I'd be too put off by if used in the distant future...) See below: The ever outdated and soon-to-be archaic "nuclear family."

Arse over kettle: To fall over (the imagery is impeccable though, wouldn't you agree?) See below: I looked everywhere for a literal image of this phraseology, but alas, could only procure a montage of falling men from the CAUTION signs. Does anyone really throw up their arms with abandon while falling?



Article: An offensive or undesirable person (Ouch, but also you could totally slip this in and insult someone without them even knowing...but that would be rather mean...kinda...) See below: A lame attempt at being "offensive..."



Away with the mixer: Someone who is out of touch with reality (Haha, now here, is this just someone who is overly obsessed with baking and has thus become out of touch? Hmm, something to watch out for!) See below: I just couldn't pass up this gem... and yes, he is in a dumpster...










2 comments:

  1. Lovely. I wish you had used them in a sentence because I'm afraid I won't use them correctly. Not that anyone will know. They'll just assume I'm away with the mixer (as they do anyways)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still (after 13 minutes) trying to devise a super-sentence using each morsel of British argot with which you've supplied us, your good and faithful readers. :)

    A friend of mine told me about a former boss who (mis)used "partake" repetitively in order to impress her subordinates, while, unbeknownst to her, the English-butchering rote only caused the chagrin and discomfiture of her Anglophilic associates. Take, for example, her kindly holding the door open , and, while standing beside the aperture, motioning for an assistant the make his egress, stating simply "partake". Please tell me that the aforementioned abuse of the word "partake" is not an exemplar of British colloquialism. Please!!!

    ReplyDelete